Who Should Get A1C Tested and When?
Medical Guidelines suggest you should get tested if:
- You are over the age of 45
- If you are under the age of 45 and Overweight (If your BMI is between 25 and 30)
- If you are under the age of 45 and Obese (If your BMI is greater than 30)
- If you have Risk Factors for Diabetes
- Are Overweight
- Have prediabetes
- Have a parent, brother or sister with Diabetes or Prediabetes
- Are physically active less than 3 times a week
- Have had gestational diabetes during a prior pregnancy
- Are African-American, Hispanic or Latino, Native American and within a ethnic group with a high prevalence of diabetes.
If you have been tested normal before, and are over the age of 45 then A1c test screening is recommended at a minimum of 3 years