What is Vaginitis?
Vaginitis or inflammation of the vulva or vaginal area is a common gynecological condition that results in vaginal area discomfort and possible discharge. The most common causes of Vaginitis are Bacterial Vaginosis (See BV Test) where there is an imbalance in the health bacterial species of the vagina (45%), infection with Candida species (See Candida Test; Candidiasis) (25%) and Trichimonas infection (20%).
What are the Causes of Vaginitis (Inflammation of the Vaginal Area)
The vagina has a number of microorganisms that live in balance. Changes in this balance of organisms can result in Vaginitis. Risk factors that can impact the normal homeostasis of organisms in the vaginal vault include:
- Hormone levels
- Sexual activity
Symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
- A gray or white vaginal discharge
- A strong, fish-like odor
- Pain in or around the vaginal area
- Itching in or around the vaginal area
- Burning sensation when urinating
Organisms Associated with Bacterial Vaginosis (See BV Test)
- Atopobium vaginae
- Gardnerlla vaginalis
- Megasphera 1
- Megasphera 2
- Bacterial Vaginosis Associated Bacteria -2 (BVAB-2)
- Candida albicans
- Candida glabrata
- Candida tropicalis
- Candida parapsilosis
- Lactobacillus crispatus
- Lactobacillus iners
- Trichimonas vaginalis
Will I need to do anything to prepare for the test?
You should not use tampons, douche, or have sex for at least 24 hours before your test.
- Self-collected Swab – We will provide you privacy in our bathroom and provide instructions on collecting a swab sample on yourself
- Urine sample – We can also test urine samples
After The Test
- When your results are ready, we will send them to you in a clear, easy-to-read report in our HIPAA-protected Patient Portal.
- You will have the option to speak with an independent physician to discuss your results and treatment options, if applicable
- Together, you and your physician may develop a personalized plan to treat your condition.
- If a medication is prescribed, it will be sent by the physician to the pharmacy of your choice.