Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is a vaginal infection where their is an imbalance between normal/healthy bacteria and other bacteria in the vagina. Our Bacterial Vaginosis test tests for bacteria that can be harmful to your vaginal health.
Return to Main Shop Page
What is Bacterial Vaginosis?
The normal health vagina contains a number of bacterial species. When their is an imbalance in these bacteria, women can experience discomfort. BV can resolve by itself, however for many women, symptoms can persist without treatment. BV can increase the risk of getting a STD such as Chlamydia, Gonorrhea or HIV because of alterations in the normal vaginal barrier
Pregnant women can have an increased risk of premature birth or BV can impact the baby's health including low birth weight, respiratory or breathing issues and troubles with feeding and weight gain.
Symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
- A gray or white vaginal discharge
- A strong, fish-like odor
- Pain in or around the vaginal area
- Itching in or around the vaginal area
- Burning sensation when urinating
What is Measured in a Bacterial Vaginosis Test
- Atopobium vaginae
- Gardnerlla vaginalis
- Megasphera 1
- Megasphera 2
- Bacterial Vaginosis Associated Bacteria -2 (BVAB-2)
- Self-collected Swab - We will provide you privacy in our bathroom and provide instructions on collecting a swab sample on yourself
- Urine sample - We can also test urine samples
Are you a Provider or Patient that needs more information? Please reach out at 407-783-1000
Sample Collection Instructions
View a sample report by clicking the link below.