Basic Metabolic Panel (BMP)
This blood test gives information about your body’s metabolism, or how your body uses food for energy. It gives a snapshot of the health of your kidneys. This panel checks many different body functions and can give information about kidney function, electrolyte balance, blood sugar levels, and metabolism.¹ A BMP is a good place to start when looking for basic information about your health.
- Blood sample
- 1 mL serum collected in SST
Who should get tested?
There are many reasons someone may order a basic metabolic panel, but it is a good place to start in evaluating your general health, finding a diagnosis, or even monitoring a preexisting condition such as high blood pressure. Because this panel measures 8 different substances in the body it can be helpful in evaluating general symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, vomiting, etc.
- Note: Result turnaround times are only an estimate and may be subject to change.
- Test turnaround time for the BMP is typically 3-5 business days.
- This panel requires fasting (no food or drink, only water) for 8-12 hours before your appointment.
Individual Test Information
- Glucose, a type of sugar and your body's main source of energy.
- Calcium, one of the body's most important minerals. Calcium is essential for proper functioning of your nerves, muscles, and heart.
- Sodium, potassium, carbon dioxide, and chloride. These are electrolytes, electrically charged minerals that help control the amount of fluids and the balance of acids and bases in your body.
- BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and creatinine, waste products removed from your blood by your kidneys.¹
- “Basic Metabolic Panel (BMP): MedlinePlus Medical Test.” MedlinePlus, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 9 Mar. 2021, medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/basic-metabolic-panel-bmp/.