Why get a Basic Thyroid Function Panel?
The Basic Thyroid Function Panel, is a simple blood test that measures the levels of TSH and T4 in the body, TSH and T4 are two common hormones used to measure thyroid function, and aid in the diagnosis of a thyroid disorder. The thyroid gland plays a crucial role in regulating metabolism, energy production, and various other bodily functions. This test will be able to identify both an overactive (hyperthyroidism) and underactive (hypothyroid).
Who should get a Basic Thyroid Function Panel?
- Those who have a family history of thyroid disorders including underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), or overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).
- You should consider a Basic Thyroid Function Panel if you are experiencing symptoms like:
What is Evaluated in this Panel?
- TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone)
- Free T4 (Free Thyroxine)
- 1 mL serum collected in SST
- No special preparation needed
Turn Around Time
Approximately 1 week (3-7 Business Days)
Individual Test Information
- TSH – TSH is produced by the pituitary glad. This test measures the levels of TSH in the blood to determine if hormone levels are too low or too high. A TSH level that is high may mean you have hypothyroidism, this means your thyroid gland is not producing enough thyroid hormone. Conversely, a low TSH may indicate that your thyroid is producing too much thyroid hormone resulting in hyperthyroidism.
- Free T4 (Free Thyroxine) – Free T4 is a hormone produced by the thyroid gland. This hormone, working along with Triiodothyronine T3, are responsible for regulating the body’s temperature, heart rate, and metabolism.