What is the purpose of the ColoScape™ Colorectal Cancer Detection Test?
The ColoScape™ Colorectal Cancer Detection Test results will indicate the presence or absence of genetic and epigenetic markers associated with colorectal neoplasia (including both cancer and advanced adenomas).
What is the ColoScape™ Colorectal Cancer Detection Test?
ColoScape™, is capable of detecting 61 genetic (mutations) and 7 epigenetic (methylation) markers, specific for colorectal cancer from a single blood draw. This test has not been approved by the US FDA but has been validated as a Lab Developed Test in a CLIA certified reference laboratory. ColoScape™ has a high accuracy for the detection of genetic and epigenetic markers using cell free DNA (cfDNA) isolated from peripheral blood.
Who Should Receive Testing?
In the US, Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men and women when combined. The risk of getting colon cancer increases as you get older. In fact, 88% of cases of colorectal cancers occur in people who are 50 years or older.
You’re considered to be of average risk if you do not have:
- A family history or predisposition of colon cancer (such as Lynch syndrome or familial adenomatous polyposis)
- A personal history of inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease)
- A personal history of colorectal cancer, adenomas, or other related cancers
- A positive result from another screening method in the last year
Colorectal cancer is a common and potentially life-threatening disease, so it’s essential to consider getting tested, especially if you fall into one of the following categories:
- Individuals of average risk aged 45 and older
- If you have a family history of colorectal cancer or polyps
- If you’ve had colorectal cancer or certain types of polyps before
- Individuals with conditions like Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Some inherited genetic syndromes, such as Lynch syndrome, significantly increase the risk of colorectal cancer.
- If you experience symptoms like:
- blood in your stool,
- changes in bowel habits,
- unexplained weight loss, or
- persistent abdominal discomfort
Consult with your healthcare provider to discuss your personal risk factors and create a screening plan tailored to your needs. Early detection through regular screenings can significantly improve the chances of successful treatment and outcomes for colorectal cancer.
Benefits of Testing with ColoScape™
- Non-Invasive Testing: ColoScape™ requires only a simple blood sample for testing.
- High Accuracy: This ultra-sensitive qPCR-based assay has a more than 96% specificity in identifying colorectal cancer (CRC) associated mutations in genes.
- Fast Results: Turnaround time for most test results are 1 week.