The electrolyte panel measures sodium, chloride, potassium, and carbon dioxide levels. Abnormal levels may indicate a serious health problem. Electrolytes are minerals found in the body that help to maintain water balance and pH, they also help with muscle contraction, heart rhythm, and brain function.
- Blood sample
- 1 mL serum collected in SST
Who should get tested?
An electrolyte panel is normally ordered as part of general health testing, but it is also used for diagnosis and monitoring of many different conditions. This panel is often ordered if you are experiencing symptoms of an electrolyte imbalance including fatigue, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, etc. This panel can also be used to monitor the treatment of kidney disease, high blood pressure, or an irregular heart rhythm.¹
- Note: Result turnaround times are only an estimate and may be subject to change.
- Test turnaround time for an electrolyte panel is typically 1-2 business days.
- No special preparation is needed for electrolyte testing.
Individual Test Information
- Sodium, which helps control the amount of fluid in the body. It also helps your nerves and muscles work properly.
- Chloride, which also helps control the amount of fluid in the body. In addition, it helps maintain healthy blood volume and blood pressure.
- Potassium, which helps your heart and muscles work properly.
- CO2/Carbon Dioxide, which helps maintain the body's acid and base balance.
- “Electrolyte Panel: MedlinePlus Medical Test.” MedlinePlus, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 3 Mar. 2021, medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/electrolyte-panel/.