What is Familial Alzheimer Disease or Early Onset Alzheimer?
Familial or Early Onset Alzheimer is essentially Alzheimer’s disease that is characterized by cognitive or memory issues that impact functioning due to Neurodegeneration. In Early-Onset or Familial forms of this disorder, brain functioning is impaired at an earlier age than traditional age-associated dementia. Essentially, patients experience memory issues, cognitive decline, or behavior changes between the ages of 30-60. Also in some patients, ataxia and motor functioning may also be impaired. Alzheimer’s disease is due to the development of brain atrophy and/or the development of plaques in various parts of the brain.
Genes Associated with Familial Alzheimer Disease
- APOE – This gene is associated with increased risk of dementia or Alzheimer but is not causal. We include it in the panel as it may impact clinical decision making if additional genetic alterations in other genes are identified.
At-Home Test kit with a buccal swab collected with Zymo SafeCollect Swab
- Blood Sample collected with Tasso Kit
Why should I get a Familial Alzheimer Disease Test?
- If you have a strong family history of Alzheimer Disease or Dementia in the family
- If you are developing signs of Dementia, Memory Loss, Alzheimer Disease or Macular Degeneration at an earlier than expected age
- If you are starting to get forgetful, have confusion, or losing time
- If there is age related impact on judgement
- If there is any sign of progressive dementia
- Note: Result turnaround times are only an estimate and may be subject to change.
- Choose the option that is right for you.
- Depending on what you choose shipments can arrive anywhere from 1-5 days
- No special preparation is needed
Insurance may be billed for this test. However, it requires a consultation and an order from a provider. To learn more