Herpes Simplex Virus, Type 1 and 2
This package tests for both types of the Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV-1 & HSV-2) which causes Genital Herpes, a common sexually transmitted disease. Also genital Herpes can lead to painful skin lesions and ulcers. In rare cases, it can cause other serious complications.
- Urine Sample
- 20-30 mL "first catch" of urine in a collection cup
Who should get tested?
- Symptoms of a Herpes Simplex Virus infection include genital, rectal, or oral lesions, fever, body aches, and genital pain. You should consider testing if you:
- Have had unprotected sex
- Have multiple sex partners
- Are pregnant
- Note: Result turnaround times are only an estimate and may be subject to change
- Test turnaround time for STD testing is typically 1-3 business days.
- Refrain from urinating for at least one hour prior to collection.
Herpes Simplex Virus, Type 1 and 2 Individual Test Information
- Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 (HSV-1): a virus that causes Oral Herpes, an infection of the mouth that commonly leads to cold sores. HSV-1 is contracted by physical contact with an infected person. An increasing number of Genital Herpes has been caused by engaging in oral sex with someone infected with HSV-1.
- Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 (HSV-2): a virus that causes Genital Herpes, a common STD that leads to painful skin lesions and ulcers in the genital, rectal, or oral regions. Genital Herpes is contracted by unprotected sexual activity with someone infected with HSV-2.
Is there a cure for Herpes Simplex Virus, Type 1 and 2?
Although there is currently no cure for the Herpes Simplex Virus, diagnosed patients may be prescribed antiviral medication to both manage symptoms and reduce the risk of transmission to sexual partners.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021, July 22). Genital Herpes – CDC Fact Sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cdc.gov/std/herpes/stdfact-herpes-detailed.htm
- John Hopkins Medicine. Oral Herpes. Hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/herpes-hsv1-and-hsv2-/oral-herpes
Mobile Phlebotomy Available
On the go mobile phlebotomy service where we come to you to draw your lab work. We serve the entire Orlando Metro Area and anywhere that is within 50 miles of our lab.
Choose Mobile Phlebotomy when you book your appointment.