QuantiFERON Gold TB Test
A QuantiFERON Gold TB test, also known as an Interferon-Gamma Release Assay (IGRA), is a blood test used to detect latent tuberculosis (TB) infection. In short, this is the most accurate way of detecting the presence of latent TB or inactive TB and is used to either diagnose or screen individuals for possible TB disease.
Who should get a QuantiFERON Gold TB Test?
Up to 13 million people in the United States may have inactive TB or latent TB. Ultimately, without treatment, some of these individuals will get active TB as they age or as their immune system declines. Also, TB is contagious and these individuals can put other family members or others at risk.
The Risk of Inactive or Latent TB:
- If you were born in or frequently travel to countries where TB is common, including many in Asia, Africa, and Latin America
- Live in large group settings
- Recently exposed to someone with active TB
- Have a weak immune system because of medical conditions or being on immunosuppressants or have HIV
- Work in healthcare settings such as hospitals, correctional facilities, and nursing homes
- Blood sample
- 4-Tubes collected at our facility/patient service center in Orlando
Benefits of a QuantiFERON Gold TB Test?
- QuantiFERON does not require a F/U visit unlike the intradermal skin test
- QuantiFERON is not affected by previous vaccination with BCG vaccine (TB-Vaccine given in many countries)
- 99% Sensitive
- Does not require 2-step testing
- Note: Result turnaround times are only an estimate and may be subject to change.
- Test turnaround time for the QuantiFERON is typically 3-5 business days.
- No patient preparation is required
Individual Test Information
- Method is per interferon gamma release from incubated tubes.