Why Should I Choose a Rapid Antigen COVID Test?
We use antigen tests in a variety of testing strategies to respond to the coronavirus disease pandemic. Antigen tests are immunoassays that detect the presence of a specific viral antigen, which implies current viral infection. Rapid Antigen COVID Tests are relatively inexpensive and can be used at the point of care. Moreover, the currently authorized devices return results in approximately 15 minutes. However, antigen tests are generally less sensitive than viral tests that detect nucleic acid using reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR).
Is this Test Safe for Children?
Yes. This test can be used on infants and children of any age, and results are available quickly. However, the antigen test should only be used if a child has active symptoms or a known exposure to COVID-19. This test is most accurate when used during the first week of infection.
What is COVID19?
- COVID19 is a respiratory disease caused by the virus SARS-CoV2 which was first identified in Wuhan, China in 2019
- It has the potential to cause severe respiratory symptoms and pneumonia in some individuals
How is COVID19 (SARS-CoV2) spread?
- Droplets – The most common method of spread is through respiratory droplets through talking, coughing, or sneezing
- Closes Personal Contact – Touching or shaking hands or similar contact with a person who is either symptomatic or an asymptomatic carrier
- Surface Contact – Although less likely, touching surfaces that may be contaminated with the virus and then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes.
Who is at Risk?
- Travelers to areas that are endemic with the virus
- Everyone in the US currently
Symptoms of COVID19 (SARS-CoV2)
This is not an exhaustive list
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle aches
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Nausea or Vomiting or Diarrhea