What is Genital Herpes / Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV)?
- Genital Herpes is a common sexually transmitted infection in the US. Genital Herpes is usually caused by HSV-2 but increasingly more cases are being detected by HSV-1. HSV infections are transmitted by the HSV virus from contact with an infected partner. Usually, lesions are not present during the time of contact and often individuals are not aware that they are infected and possibly shedding the virus. Many individuals remain asymptomatic.
What are symptoms of Genital Herpes?
Most of the time, individuals may have no symptoms and no lesions or skin condition that is mild and mistaken for something else. Typical presentation is of small blisters or vesicles in the genital area or the mouth. The lesions may eventually break and result in an ulcer type lesion which can be painful. Usually initial herpes infections may also include fever, bodyaches and flu-like symptoms.
Who Should Get Tested?
- The CDC recommends yearly testing for all sexually active adults, but generally it is best to get tested if you:
- have had unprotected sex
- have had or are planning to have sex with a new partner
- have multiple sexual partners
- are concerned you may have been exposed to an STI
- are pregnant
- share injection equipment
- Note: Result turnaround times are only an estimate and may be subject to change.
- Choose the option that is right for you.
- Depending on what you choose shipments can arrive anywhere from 1-5 days